It's been awhile. Good to be back...I don't really know why I was gone, but I just was lacking the inspiration. I got it back!
Have you ever seen Julie & Julia? If not, you need to. It is a wonderful movie and one that I could totally relate to. I will tell you more about it after you have seen it. I don't want to ruin anything for you. With that said I will give you a few days and then I will continue on with my pontification of the film (I say this like there are so many people reading my blog, but, you never know).
I have I ever told you that I love to cook? Well, I do, I really do. I haven't really had enough energy to do a lot of it, so it is kind of a rare event for me to be able to get in the kitchen and produce something that wasn't previously prepared and frozen, then purchased out of the grocers freezer. With that confessed, the other day I was watching Rachael Ray (one of my faves!) and she was doing her "Whats for dinner" segment. She prepared a delicious looking "Steak and Eggs Ranchero" and I thought to myself "Self, you should make that. It doesn't look like a hard recipe." So I went to the store and got all the ingredients. I didn't get around to making it until a few days later, but here is how it went.
The general outline of the recipe is this: cook a few steaks, make a quick salsa and red chile sauce, fry a corn tortilla and a few eggs. Really not that complicated, but for some reason frying eggs is a very difficult task for me and in the process, I TOTALLY WRECKED the kitchen. There were dishes and splatters everywhere! And for some reason, my food processor was malfunctioning and it wasn't pureeing ANYTHING. When I turned it on, it created a lovely fountain of beef broth and ancho chile chunks. It's hard to make red chile sauce when you can't puree your ancho chile... Chris got home just in time to see the chaos ensue and graciously went to the office to wait for dinner to be finished and listen to me whoop and holler (picture the dad from "A Christmas Story"). Finally, he heard me announce that dinner was served and emerged from the office to see a messy kitchen, a frazzled wife, and a BEAUTIFUL plate of food (not to brag, but to kinda' brag, it looked very nice. Rachael herself would be proud). We sat down to eat and it tasted as good as it looked. I wish I took a picture.YUM! Here is the recipe. Watch out for those eggs, they can be tricky.
After all was said and done, I looked at Chris rather sheepishly and apologized for making such a mess. Just get how he responded, "What's the point in an awesome meal if the kitchen isn't a wreck? I'll clean." and continued to chow down. There are daily interactions with my husband that remind me why I love this wonderful man, but this one tops them all. I love my husband. Why? Plain and simple, he is profound without even knowing it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment